Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Family.

"So, you have two cousins. I have 27 first cousins. Just 27 first cousins alone! And my whole family is big and loud. And everybody is in each other's lives and business. All the time! Like, you never just have a minute alone, just to think, 'Cause we're always together, just eating, eating, eating!"
~Toula 

My Big Fat Greek Wedding (not to be confused with my big fat gypsy wedding) was on TV
this morning and when this part came on and Toula tells this to Ian, i couldn't help laughing.
it was like i was looking at Kevan and i. he has a close immediate family and an extended family
that i've never met. and then there's me. 13 cousins on my dads side, 21 on my moms. and this weekend,
we'll be up north with my mom's family- laughing, gasping, joking, drinking, singing (lots of singing)- and 
it's all just such a foreign thing for him.

granted, we've been together 4 years and this is by far not his first ride at the scanlan rodeo, but
sometimes i just wonder what's going through his head. everyone in my family is so...
passionate. we talk big, sing big, love big. not saying that it's not the most wonderful experience
in the world to be with them and everyone should be totally jealous that they're not in our family
(cause you should be), but it can be slightly overwhelming. even for an insider. 

i know that he really truly loves my whole family and he would tell me if it was too much for him
and i guess what the real point of this post is... is that i am just so lucky.
so lucky to have a man in my life that can be so patient with me and my craziness and
everything i put him through and always puts me and my family first.
 my big, loud, irish family. 

No comments: